My Photo
Name:
Location: Kansas City, MO, United States

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Seat Belt Story...

I mentioned previously that I had not been a seat belt wearer. I grew up during the switch from not being required by law to wear one and our current period requiring the practice. My family just didn't wear them that much. Even when the law was passed, it was hard to start making a habit of wearing the seat belt. Some of my family is still holding out.

Anyway, I now wear it any time I'm riding in an automobile. What changed my mind other than the law and getting a ticket?

Well, I was driving on 92 Highway, just outside of Platte City, Mo. I was actually headed out of town this time, but pretty close to where I was when I received the ticket for the seat belt. I crested a hill and what I see coming at me at 60 mph is a truck in his proper lane and a heavy duty truck, pulling a trailer with mowers, is in my lane, also coming towards me. Apparently, the driver had planned to pass on this dangerous section of road and he over estimated his abilities while pulling the trailer. That or what most people think, he was just a stupid driver. Anyway, I realize there's no place for me to go. I can't slam on the breaks and manage much, either. My life didn't flash before my eyes, but there was a split second, right before the outcome, when a rush of panic and adrenaline came over me. Then, the decision was made for me as the truck with the trailer drove off the road, over an embankment, through some tall grass, and into a gravel parking lot for a small business. There was no accident and he drove off without a scratch. By the way, did I mention I wasn't a seat belt wearer at this time?

For months, when driving that stretch of road, I not only remembered the incident, I also saw the evidence of it. There was a pair of black marks so black and thick on the highway, made by the truck in its evasive action.

No Really,
AWChris

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home