My Photo
Name:
Location: Kansas City, MO, United States

Friday, June 24, 2005

No Dogs Were Hurt In The Making Of This Story...

Coming off a recent post with the untimely deaths of a couple animals, I thought I'd let you know in advance that the animal in this story was unharmed. Now, whether the dog should have had so much freedom is another issue.

My sister and I had been to a dollar movie one evening and I locked my keys in the car. I've only done this three times in my life. Each time I've been distracted from simply getting out of the car. This time we showed up too early and we were sitting in the car to wait. Anyway, the real point of even telling you this embarrassment is because it forced us to walk back to our apartment which was only about three miles or less. The plan was to get my sister's car and come back with spare keys to bring the stranded vehicle home.

When we came to the final stretch of the journey, there was a large intersection we were needing to cross. As we're coming down the hill to the stoplight, I see this dog coming from the hill across the way. He's trotting along, dragging a leash. Sure enough, he trots right out into the road. It's only when he gets out in the road that he becomes confused. Go figure.

So, we're watching the dog make his decision as he trots back and forth in the intersection. Then, this car pulls up in the middle of the intersection and a girl gets out. She calls to the dog and eventually pulls him off to our side of the road, leaving her car in the intersection. About this time a couple police officers conveniently come by the scene. They pull over when they see what's going on and approach all of us. We quickly explain the situation and we discuss what the next step should be. The girl driver, car still in the road, informs the officers she works with strays and such so she agrees to take the dog with her. Mostly, the officers are wanting her to remove her car from the road, which she does.

As I'm seeing the event come to a close, it occurs to me that we can get a ride home out of this, you know, for all our help. So, I ask the officer before he gets back in his car if we can have a ride and I tell him the story about the keys. He agrees and my sister and I hop in the back of the squad car. As we're nearing the apartment complex, I become brave enough to ask what I've been dying to ask the entire time we've been riding and discussing trivial issues. I ask whether or not they feel they can do whatever they want when it comes to driving around, you know, like going as fast as you want and running the sirens whenever just to impress girls and stuff. And, not to name names, the officer says, "You bet."

No Really,
AWChris

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home